After the End Chapters 14-16 - Barry Lane

I couldn't help myself. I had to include what I like about #14. I love the explanation of the Norman Conquest (1066) as "...the day all the weaker three-syllable Latin words invaded all the strong one-syllable Anglo-Saxon words." I remember learning about this event historically, but not linguistically. I also like the idea of contracting for Grammar in Journal Writing, and replacing adjectives/adverbs with stronger nouns/verbs. This was something new that I could see immediate results from doing.


#15 I like the questioning strategy to determine if your piece is done. I'm going to use this myself. I also believe that "an uncorrected grammatical error in the hand of a parent is like a warrant for the teacher's arrest" unless the parent is aware of the philosophy of enabling students (writing workshop). I certainly don't need practice editing. The Revisor's Checklist is great too! I like the idea of an editing center. Has anyone tried this?


#16 What can you really say about this chapter except it was right on and funnier than heck! I wonder what the result of using his lead-in for a writing prompt might elicit???

No comments:

Post a Comment