Britton and Moffett Compared

I really like Britton's description of writing as expressive or transaction to describe the function and purpose of writing, but find it's depiction too linear. His writing is more readable than Moffett's though. Moffett's continuum is more clearly helpful in describing and interacting with audience. Now I can see why we're studying both models. I think that it would be helpful to develop a 3-D model like either Timothy or Warren suggested. I like when I can connect an image depicting theory to make it more reachable.

Moffett's alludes to the importance of peer response and moving from chronological to analogical discourse with a stronger focus on the writer while Britton is more intent on describing the effect of writing on the audience. I initially failed to see the connection between the two as they appear to be so dissimilar. The models in class helped; however, now I can better internalize that their models are related because they both describe the process of writing albeit from difference perspectives. It's like having two students write about experiencing field day at school and one writing about how he felt or event by event and the other writing about his parents' experience and how they as second-language speakers internalized and made sense out of the events.

No comments:

Post a Comment