The Art of Teaching Writing - Lucy Caulkins

1. I'm really uncomfortable with page 202 regarding spelling inhibiting writing. I agree that we need to encourage invented spelling and de-emphasize its importance during pre-writing, but I found the comment "An editor can help you fix up spelling later if you want to publish your book" disturbing. Trying to read the early elementary pieces made me realize that spelling is important in writing to ensure proper meaning. I believe that we de-emphasize it yet integrate it within the writing process rather than deal with it as an afterthought.


2. The Faulkner quote" writing a first draft is like trying to build a house in a strong wind" really resonates with me. I am always trying to "build pianos" while my husband is more focused on "getting it quickly hammered down."


3. I can't help relating Donald Graves 'cha-cha-cha' curriculum" to Gene Kelly's tap dancing in the "Choreography" scene in White Christmas. Opposite, Danny Kaye's artistic free-form song/dance epitomizes the time we could spend choreographing when we don't have enough structure like Calkins cautions us about. I LOVE all of the lyrics...

"The theater, the theater, what's happened to the theater? Especially where dancing is concerned Chaps who did taps aren't tapping anymore They're doing choreography Chicks who did kicks aren't kicking anymore They're doing choreography Heps who did steps That would stop the show in days that used to be Through the air they keep flying Like a duck that is dying Instead of dance it's choreography Jakes who did breaks they're not breaking anymore They're doing choreography Chicks who did kicks aren't kicking anymore They're doing choreography Queens with routines That would stop the show in days that used to be One and all they're not chancing What we used to call dancing They're busy doing choreography One and all keep us guessing What the heck they're expressing Instead of dance it's choreography!"

1 comment:

  1. I want to respond to the spelling comment. I understand your point, but in my experience I see it from another point of view. Since I work with struggling readers and writers in my Title I position this is what I have learned. Spelling is developmental. Our ultimate goal is to integrate it, but I work with students that have great ideas, voice, and content, but because of disabilities, cannot spell. In that case an adult or another student can become their editor. I have had a student the last three years that fell into this category. She was afraid of writing because she couldn't spell. It was her disability. Once we worked on strategies to help with that, she wrote beautiful prose and poetry. She was in middle school. Another time of day she does a spelling intervention, but in the past she never wrote because of her spelling. The paraeducators that work for me also work as editors for students like the one I mentioned. Spelling is important, but we need to look at learning styles and disabilities of our students. Christy

    ReplyDelete