Conferring - Lucy Caulkins

I think it would be great to have a chart of questions for my own various types of conferences. I found it very interesting when Christy? suggested that we identify questions as a class for peer review. So much of this is intuitive, but I still have to remind myself to take it one step at a time - the first step to be fully present as a listener and let the student own their work. It's difficult for me to step back when I'm so used to being involved in the process of editing people's work. I definitely need practice conferencing.

3 comments:

  1. You're right, I am already so engrossed in what questions to ask, I have already forgotten that I need to be fully present and let the students own their work. I have to remember that it isn't time for me to practice my editing skills. I think that this new model of conferencing will be hard for many teachers. I have read Calkins before, but looking at my most recent conference, I realize that I slipped back into what was quick and easy. If you can imagine, this isn't necessarily best practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree also. I need the questions, especially when focusing on deep revision in a conference. I think if you asked a group of teachers what they struggle with the most in writers workshop, it would be conferencing. It does take lots of practice... because we know we have other students around us also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Inland,Conferencing with Cristhy about my workshop was helpful

    ReplyDelete