Writing as a Recursive and Individual Experience - Bonnie Warne

I really like the "slinky" analogy and wonder if in writing about it, does Bonnie agree with Jago's supposition about producing product ("writing under pressure builds character, but because it's one of the only ways I have found to make the reluctant writers produce")? Clearly, it would be hard to speak about writing without taking a piece through the process. I like Bonnie's strategy of writing a note about what they changed and why. Are there any other methods?

I realized today that elementary and secondary teachers may not embrace the fact that writing in hard copy versus composing it digitally is actually part of the individual experience. It took me a long time to embrace and successfully compose on the computer since I learned to write in hard copy. I now need to type it so I can get my thoughts down quickly before they escape me. (Maybe that's age???) I also recognize that I don't have as much patience with writing it by hand, let alone having to re-write it; however, I find it easier to map and brainstorm by hand.

1 comment:

  1. I have students save all parts of the writing process to turn in when done with a piece of writing. Part of what I do is have them reflect on their process then. We save these are revisit them so they can see growth. They also share them at student-led parent conferences. It means much more to parents if the student can explain their learning.
    Explain more about what you mean about the sentence that starts " I realized today that elementary and seconday..."

    ReplyDelete