Bird by Bird

Best of Part 3:
- Always her descriptions
- Always her realism
- Always her ability to make the tragic situations seem normal

Entire Book:
Anne Lamott's descriptions are unparalleled, and her insight can be helpful; however, her endless dives into her sea of emotions was tiring. It was like reliving my ex-husband's manic depression. I'm at a place in my life that I need structure and support for my transition. This feels like a self help book in narrative form. I had a hard time relating, as I was raised to just suck it up and do your best. Jill said it was humorous to her, but it left me feeling like there is no way that I would want to earn a living purely as a writer. Apparently the positive outweighs all of the negative for her though as she says "But the truth is that there can be a great deal of satisfaction in being a writer, in being a person who gets some work done most days, and who has been published and acknowledged. I carry this around in my pocket, touch it a number of times a day to make sure it is still there. Even though so much of my writing time is stressful and disheartening, I carry a secret sense of accomplishment around with me, like a radium pack implanted near by heart that now leaches a quiet sense of relief through my system. But you pay through the nose for this."

Gallery Walk:
- Write for yourself using personal experience and truth.
- Writing is developmental and takes persistence.
- Step back and view your personal writing like you would when creating a character or snapshot from scratch (critical eye).

Other Book:
I definitely believe that I should have read Zinzer's book "On Writing Well" instead. It is said to be a nuts and bolts book about revision and economy of words, which really lends itself to my personality and inexperience writing anything outside of transactional writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment