Revision Strategies - Nancy Sommers

I love the quote: "My cardinal rule in revising is never to fall in love with what I have written in a first or second draft." So many people have a hard time revising and lose sight of their argument because they don't want to get rid of any words. I like the idea of cutting apart pieces of writing and shifting them. This way you can see how the pieces fit and support (or not) the point of the piece.


Embracing writing as a linear process has produced students who don't effectively revise. I believe that they can't see the incongruities between intention and execution because they are sometimes lost in the maize of their own thoughts and words. - wrote this before we even looked at The Motivation of Learning piece.

1 comment:

  1. I liked Marti's comparison of a piece of writing to a puzzle that you unlock. I sometimes think of it as a Rubic's cube where every twist and turn helps you achieve a satisfying end. It can also be like an oil painting where you add one more brush stroke and it ruins the whole thing. Knowing when to stop is sometimes as important as knowing where to begin.

    ReplyDelete